Indian Environment Minister Appreciates GLOBE India Efforts in Engaging Legislators on Climate Change
GLOBE India representatives met Union Minister for Environment, Forests and Climate Change, Prakash Javadekar and presented a set of briefing papers on legal architecture of Climate Agreement and key issues for India. Javadekar lauded the role played by GLOBE India and extended his support for the initiatives to engage legislators on climate change issues.
Among those who met India's Environment Minister included GLOBE India President Bhubaneswar Kalita,Vice-President Anurag Singh Thakur, Secretary General Prem Das Rai, and other members Vivek Gupta, Vandana Chavan, Dr Sanjay Jaiswal, Kalikesh Narayan Singh Deo, V P Singh Badnore, A V Swamy and Vasanthi Stanley.
Various issues including International Climate Negotiations, status of Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDCs), Climate Legislation and participation of interested legislators in decision making and policy process were discussed. A set of briefing papers prepared by GLOBE India in collaboration with IELO (Indian Environment Law Offices) were presented to the Hon. Minister and other members.
The briefing papers are supposed to act as reference points for legal issues facing climate change negotiations. These may help India and other developing countries prepare themselves better for the Paris Summit.
Listed below and can be downloaded by clicking on title below:
1. Briefing Paper 1 - LEGAL FORM OF 2015 CLIMATE AGREEMENT
2. Briefing Paper 2 -KEY ISSUES FOR 2015 CLIMATE AGREEMENT
3. Briefing Paper 3 -MULTILATERAL ENVIRONMENTAL TREATIES ? WHAT DO THEY TELL US ABOUT EQUITY AND CBDR?
4. Briefing Paper 4 - EQUITY AND CBDR UNDER THE UNFCCC AND CLIMATE NEGOTIATIONS
5. Briefing Paper 5 -EVOLVING MULTILATERAL REGIMES AND ROLE OF INDIAN PARLIAMENT